Sunday, February 10

in the bathtub

They are in the bathtub, shrieking and splashing.
Shouting and laughing, their bodies clunking against the fiberglass sides.
Reverberating throughout our boxlike apartment.
I wonder what the neighbors think,
As they are sure to notice the racket.
Probably believing we are a family of elephants
Who love to jam into our too small bathtub.


I do my best to fight the urge,
Rushing in, yelling.
Stifling their giggles with my need
To shout orders of SETTLE DOWN,
KEEP SOME WATER IN THE TUB!

Is that glass breaking? Bodies crashing to the floor?
I suppose I should hurry in there.
Checking for wounded.
I don't go in though.
I wait, still listening.

Fighting my urges.
To shout and yell about
Wet floors.
Wasted shampoo and conditioner.
Newly washed towels, laying in sopping heaps.
Wet toilet paper, drifting in the now cold bath water.
Wet footprint trails on the carpet along the hall.


They are out of the bathtub.



2 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh this is so my daughter.Since my daughter and son don't bath together anymore (thank God), she doesn't have quite this much fun. The latest activity is creating "Potions" in any available empty bottle or container. Who knows, maybe she'll be a chemist someday.
Maybe your girls will be synchronize swimmers!

Naomi said...

You're a poet? I had no idea.