Wednesday, July 28

scan

Mitchell's PET scan was read yesterday and the good news is....We're in the same place we were in back in May.  Chances are the cancer is still growing but SLOWLY.  So that is a good thing.  This particular appointment was remarkable to me because Mitchell was more straight-forward about the symptoms and pains he's been having.  He has an MRI on his brain scheduled for next Friday in order to rule out metastases there.  More than likely,the headaches that he's been having are probably a result of the abraxane. 

Dr. Brown still feels like Mitchell is holding up very well considering we are on month 19 of almost nonstop chemotherapy.  Unfortunately the doctor believes that he will only be able to tolerate 3 or 4 more administrations of these drugs due to the diminished reflexes and the increased neuropathy. 

It's still funny to me to hear people say that Mitchell looks good, even though it doesn't bug me like it did before.  I think it's interesting that people are comforted by the idea that a person with this level of advanced disease looks good.  To me, it's the opposite.  It scares the shit out of me that something that destructive can hide out in your body like that with minimal outward symptoms.

2 comments:

Figuring It Out said...

People don't know how to deal with something that smacks them in the face. I went through a period where I hated people asking me "How are you doing?" or "You know it's going to get better, right?" when my eyes were swollen and red and I had tissues filling my garbage can. I'd much rather have them tell me the truth, "You look like hell! You should go lay down (or other activity besides work)".

<3 ya cuz!

Neesey said...

My dad has been fighting brain and lung cancer for five years. I still cringe when people say "He looks so good!" with a surprised voice. He isn't dead. He has been fighting a disease. And it's on the inside, jerks!

It's right up there with "Is there anything I can do?" I hate that question too. Unless you can cure cancer, I think I'll be alright.

My dad has been a fighter, a real trooper. He's worked through the entire thing with the hope that he would fight better if he was living his life the way he had been living it, pre-"cword". People always say "He's not working still, is he?" As if he's supposed to be sitting at home, dying.

Tell Mitchell to keep up the fight. And stay strong. It's good to have examples of what positivity and good vibes can do. And tell him to feel free to feel bad, even if he looks good on the inside.

-Neesey
http://subu-neesey.blogspot.com/