Thursday, February 26

just smile and nod

Anytime Hayden and I make a public appearance, people ask me if this is my first. It doesn't matter if I have all 3 girls or just baby and me. Sometimes I answer; most of the time I just smile and nod.
People also love to ask if Hayden is a "good baby". This question confounds me. When was the last time a new mother had to deal with a cursing, thieving newborn? Sure Taylor never slept and most days I felt as though I was a prisoner of war, but she never assaulted me or stole money from my wallet. So all in all, I think she could be considered a pretty good baby.
I also think it's strange when complete strangers will approach me and not only gush over my unknown-to-them infant but also touch/stroke/poke my newborn with what I always assume are filthy, potentially germ-laden stranger hands while getting dangerously close to her face. Can you imagine how startling this has to be for her? Some complete stranger's doughy face 4 cm from her own? Breathing strange breath into her face, making weird, monster-like sounds and gestures? Terrifying.
I do my best not to place both hands in the middle of the person's chest and push them away with all my might. I keep my caustic comments to myself and most days I just smile and nod. Realizing that these are just one of the many joys of having an infant.
I guess I should just be thankful that people haven't yet begun to caution me about the difficulties of having 3 kids.

1 comment:

1 said...

There is nothing wrong with having three girls. My parents had them, and were fine. And I turned out perfect. See how that works?